Warriors Word

Spread the Word to End the Word

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spread the Word to End the Word

Julia Wendland

Spread the Word to End the Word is a step towards a future world of equality. People around the world are taking a stand against the use of the word “retard” when describing someone with an intellectual disability. As generations have gone on, the R-word has become a way to make fun of others. This year, the international day to stand against this is being held on the first Wednesday in March (March 7th). Through the giving hands of Ms. Pyne, shirts are being sold to support the cause. Not only do these T-shirts represent a better life for children with disabilities, but a portion of the proceeds goes back to the Best Buddies club at Muskego High. Ms. Pyne plans to change the viewpoint of the R-word to denote respect. Ms. Pyne would like to bring into view that, “whether intentional or not, the word conjures up a painful stereotype of people with intellectual disabilities.” She believes that if people think before they speak, children who have disabilities will feel more welcomed into the world. By using a positive word, the world will be more accepting and inclusive to people with disabilities, people who are seen as different in society, and people who have unique talents.

Along with selling T-shirts, Best Buddies recently went on a bowling excursion on January 18th. The Buddies and participants from Muskego High made up a group of 74 people and had an awesome time knocking down pins at Alpine Lanes. The friendly competition kept the spirits high, and pizza, soda, socializing, and laughter created a night to remember for both the buddies and their friends. Ms. Pyne would like to recognize the Special Education teacher Vicki Linstrom and Special Education Aide Jenny Walechka who both assisted with driving and making sure the buddies were enjoying themselves. Attached are some pictures from the night, but Ms. Pyne said, “The pictures don’t really do the event justice. If you could have seen the energy and excitement in that building – it would give you the positive energy to get you through all of these gray days in Winter!”

About the Writer
Julia Wendland, Author

Julia Wendland is an author for the Muskego High School Newspaper Club. Julia is a part of the class of 2020 which makes her a junior this 2018-2019 year....

• Spread the Word to End the Word

MHS News

Poms Take on Badgerette

• MHS News

Operation Merry Christmas

• Spread the Word to End the Word

MHS News

Juxtaposing Festivities

• MHS News

A Sweet Holiday Treat

• Spread the Word to End the Word

MHS News

Popular Presents of 2018

• Spread the Word to End the Word

MHS News

Changing an Elder’s Life One Visit at a Time

• Spread the Word to End the Word

MHS News

MHS Annual Spooktacular

• MHS News

HOSA: New Club at MHS

• Spread the Word to End the Word

MHS News

Calling All Students: What Makes you a 1 Warrior?

• Spread the Word to End the Word

MHS News

Should We Have School on Columbus Day?

The student news site of Muskego High School
Spread the Word to End the Word