Everybody Cut Footloose!

Julia Wendland, Author

The lights glimmered for four nights straight in the Muskego High School auditorium as the production of Footloose was put on. Starting Thursday, February 21, high school students displayed a live show of the broadway musical Footloose. Not only do the students play an immense role in this production, but without the directors and advisors there would be no musical to present. Helping out with the musical were the following: Mr. Wanner, music and stage director; Ms. Nepscha, choreographer; Mrs. Vanness, costumes; Mr. Beckman, director of pit; Mr. Ginnow, technical director; Mr. Thurow, technical director; Mrs. Ginnow, acting coach; and Mrs. Plutschack, publicity and tickets. Each advisor had a responsibility to guide the students in fulfilling their potential with this production.

TOM MULLEN 4144299184
Taken by Tangle Photography

In order to choose a musical to perform as a high school production, different aspects are put in to thought. The musical must have enough cast member roles available allowing for many students to work with their passion. According to Mr. Wanner, Footloose was chosen because, “it offered the opportunity for many students to shine in their individual characterizations, solo songs, and dances”.

When the show finally took the stage, there were fifty-six students in the cast that took on roles as characters of Beaumont. There were fourteen students in the pit helping to make the melodious music that accompanied the vocals of the actors. Lastly, there were thirty-three students participating in crew; crew is the group that constructs the scenes and moves backdrops on and off stage during the show.

Taken by Tangle Photography
TOM MULLEN 4144299184

This musical consisted of a variety of songs ranging from emotional filled tunes to a joyous party soundtrack. After talking to the music and stage director, Mr. Wanner, his favorite song was the final song-”Footloose”. “I always love the big numbers with the whole cast singing and dancing,” answered Mr. Wanner when describing his favorite aspects of the show.

Mr. Wanner has been directing musicals at Muskego High School for as long as anyone can remember. He has a passion of music and when discussing the final product of this production, Mr. Wanner said, “my favorite part about directing the musical at MHS is having the ability to watch students grow before my very eyes. As actors and actresses find their character, they are really finding themselves at the same time”.

Taken by Tangle Photography

Being able to see a new family being born on the stage at Muskego High School is a memory someone will never forget. Thank you Footloose and all of its participants.