Wherefore Art Thou

Many Talented Artists roam MHS Hallways by Emilee Fridrick

page 3 Art Images (1)Art has been important since the beginning, in Greece, Egypt and Europe. Until now, art classes aren’t seen as important as they once were. Some believe that not everyone can use art in their lives. That may be true but art can help develop certain skills that will be used more than you might think. There are many benefits to art like having creativity promotes social development, using your hands to create helps develop motor skills. Not only does art help develop skills but it can also help your grades!

A study on high school students showed a correlation between art education and math, writing test scores. The students were tracked for three years and were required to take one credit of art education. The students who took more than the minimum requirement were 1.5 times more likely to exceed the ACT Plan national average composite score. Another study showed that the math scores of musical students outshined those of their non-musical peers. Also the No Child Left Behind Act clearly mandates the Arts (including, music, art, foreign language, etc.) as a core academic subject. So thankfully the arts won’t be going anywhere for the year. But who’s to say they won’t disappear due to lack of students.

This year an independent study was created for the few students that signed up for Sculpture and Painting. I was lucky enough to see the work these few students were working on. Jordan Henningfield, a junior, says she began art at no specific time she said, “I was given the same box of crayons in kindergarten as everyone else, I just never put them away. As I grew up, art just kind of grew with me because I never got tired of it. Art has made me the person I am today because it’s relaxing and it’s fun and I’m able to create things in a way that is unique and very different from the standard and formulaic curriculars and class schedules that we see so often.

The thing about art is that it doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a long process. With every piece we create, we constantly are improving and getting better. Where you are as an artist right in this very moment is not necessarily dictated by your past, nor does it necessarily dictate where you will be a year from now. What does define you as an artist is how much work you are willing to put in.” 

With every piece we create, we constantly are improving and getting better. Where you are as an artist right in this very moment is not necessarily dictated by your past, nor does it necessarily dictate where you will be a year from now. What does define you as an artist is how much work you are willing to put in.”

— Jordan wisely states,

I think that her words really do describe the ideals of an artist.

Below you can see just a preview of her talent. If you’d like to see more of her art you can follow her on Instagram @peanutbutterdrawings . Hannah Koepp, a junior, began ‘arting’ just a year ago. Her favorite art medium is clay, and favourite subject is elephants. Ever since she started her hand tremors have lessened and her concentration has improved. Her art style was described as ‘grotesque.’ Hannah is also a musical student so she uses her creativity more often than some artists. Below you can see Hannah’s newly found talent.

Zoya Chicks, a senior, has always loved art. Her favorite art medium is watercolour. Her art style has evolved and currently consists of urban and landscape pieces. “ I have always loved art. When I was younger, I would always design fashion. High School became my time to create more refined art. Art gives me time to be free from all kinds of stress. It has helped show who I am as a person and as an artist.” Zoya is yet another amazing artist that I had the privilege to interview. I hope to see more work from her, Jordan Henningfield and Hannah Koepp.