Muskego Honors “Varsity” Chemistry Competes in Olympiad

Steve Carpentar, Author

What strange force can keep a teenager at school on a Friday afternoon? Even more mysteriously, what could rouse a student early on a Saturday and compel them to come to the high school and take a test? For many MHS students, the answer is simple: chemistry. Friday, March 5th and Saturday, March 6th were the dates of our local Chemistry Olympiad. In the Olympiad, MHS students cross swords (read: pencils) with students of local schools in the first stage of the American Chemistry Organization’s annual competition. This year, MHS hosted the Olympiad, proctored by Mr. Barry. 105 students from 15 local schools competed throughout the two test days. Most of our own competitors are present or former students of Mr. Barry’s A.P. Chemistry class. The test consists of 60 multiple choice questions (of varying topic and difficulty) and a free-response question used as a tiebreaker. From MHS, Tim Sprangle and Steve Carpenter will advance to the next level of competition. To outsiders, this celebration of chemistry may seem bizarre. To MHS varsity chemistry students, the Olympiad is an interesting opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge. Keep your beakers ever full, and your formula sheet in hand, Olympians.