Special Olympics

Special+Olympics

Shayne Comp, Journalist

Every year Muskego does the Special Olympics in the spring. Special Olympics is an national organization that provides sport opportunities for athletes with cognitive disabilities. Coach Jarrette is the head coach of Track & Field, he says “Special Olympics Wisconsin has 8 Regions.  Muskego hosts the Region 8 State Qualifier for Athletics (Track & Field). The Special Olympics has been going on since 2009 at Nicolet High School. “[Muskego High School] sent 150 student athletes to volunteer when the host school was Nicolet high school in 2009.  After 2 years of busing all of our volunteers to Nicolet HS, Special Olympics Wisconsin asked us if we would like to host.  In 2011, MHS became the host site” says Jarrette.

There are many events that are in the special olympics, swimming, basketball, and athletics have the most participation around the state.  Athletics consists of most of the same running events on the track that you would see in the Olympics.  Field Event options are long jump, standing long jump, softball throw and turbo javelin.  All of these events, the high school track team helps with these events, and a lot of people come and watch since it is a lot of fun to watch all of these events go on, and all the smiles that are going around.

The special olympics will be hosted at Muskego May 14th, the opening ceremonies kickoff will be in InPro stadium at 8:00am. Go be there Warriors to support the community, and have a good time!