Muskego Warriors Dominate Classic 8 Conference Meet

Stephen Hintz

This past Saturday the Muskego boys and girls cross country teams competed in the Classic 8 Conference Championships at Lake Denoon Middle School. It was a day that saw races of mud and well…mud. While the times were not personal bests for everyone, there was lots of success all around the board for Muskego.

In the first race of the day, the boys team started the day out with a fourth-place finish in the conference. This team performance consisted of a 4th place finish from junior Erik Kain (16:32), and a 15th place finish for senior, Adam Kierzek (17:14). These performances from Erik and Adam earned Erik 1st Team All-Conference and Adam on 2nd Team All-Conference. In addition to the All-Conference placings, sophomore Ethan Hopp ran a new personal best in his second varsity race and in very slick, muddy conditions. Next week, the boys will race their sectional meet at UW-Parkside, as they look to make it to the state meet for the 6th year in a row.

In the girls varsity race, the girls put on a dominating performance as they had their top five runners all placed in the top ten, and 4 of those five placing 5th or better. Sophomore Kate Sperka and senior Kate Jochims, who placed 2nd and 4th, respectively, at the state meet last year, both made their season debuts at this race. Kate Jochims ran 19:10 to win the race, and Kate Sperka took 4th running 19:29. The girls team has an astounding six girls take home All-Conference awards. The girls who were 1st Team All-Conference were senior Kate Jochims (1st), junior Brittany Helm (3rd), sophomore Kate Sperka (4th), sophomore Ani Oxborough (5th), and freshman Rachel Helm (7th). Sara Jochims won a 2nd Team All-Conference award as she finished 13th. Next week, the girls will also be racing their sectional at UW-Parkside, looking to make it to state for their 4th year in a row as they look to top their 2nd place team finish from last year’s state meet.

Congrats to the boys and girls cross country team and good luck at sectionals!