No Subs for You

Julia Wendland, Author

Before the start of school, student council members gathered together with a selfless character eager to help out all Muskego High School teachers. This event is called No Subs for You and each year it is put on by the Muskego Student Council. Throughout the entirety of the day, students help out teachers that are in need of organization for the school year. After all of the hardworking, student and teachers are each given a sub for lunch. This summer event was extremely busy resulting in numerous phone calls from teachers requesting help in their rooms.

The phone was constantly ringing and at certain points in the day, there were no students available for new demands. Chase Hahne in student council was in charge of organizing this event and getting subs from Jimmy Johns for everyone. She believes that teachers are benefitted from the helpful students allowing them to do jobs that only they can do. Students are kept busy by organizing bookshelves, cleaning tables, and counting numerous things while the teachers are able to get lesson plans ready while knowing that the hard labor will get done. Not only was the student council event valuable for the teachers, Chase thinks that, “students can have a chance to make a good first impression on teachers while helping them.” Students have the ability during this event to become familiar with their new teachers and classrooms for the rest of the year. This event not only gives the teachers a headstart for the academic year, but allows students to feel prepared. Along with showing the selflessness of the student council this event helps to show “the staff that they are appreciated” says Chase. Each request that was made by a teacher, a student would help allowing the teacher to feel as though they are not forgotten.

After all requests had been made for the day and the demands began to decrease, lunch approached. In order to get enough food for both the the teachers and the entire student council Chase bought “38 two foot subs!” The quantity of the subs was enough to fill not one car, but two entire cars! Being a part of a helpful club like student council allows for a student to feel more prepared for the upcoming year and to take part in selfless deeds.