Student Council – Food Drive

Emily Albrecht

In the beginning of December, Student Council puts together an event that gives everyone a chance to give back to the community. The Food Drive is the event that Student Council manages and commits to annually. It is a competition between first-hour classes that involves bringing in nonperishable food items to donate to the Muskego Food Pantry and the first-hour class that brings in the most cans of food by the end of the week will receive Krispy Kreme donuts.

Every day after school the general council collects all the food from each classroom and counts it. The final event occurs the Saturday after the competition week, which is when Student Council members come together to count and sort the food at the high school. Then they have to transfer all the food over to the food pantry and stack them on all the shelves. On the student council executive board the community events chairperson number 2 is in charge each year of the food drive. This years’ community events chairperson number 2 (Melanie Davis) stated: “There is no required amount we need to meet; we just want to get as much food donated as we can to help the people in need. It’s all about giving back to the community.” Thanks, Student Council for continuing to involve MHS in this important service event, and thanks, MHS students for all of your thoughtful donations!