Pepping up MHS

Students+pulled+out+their+flashlights+to+remember+the+soldiers+in+our+country.+

Students pulled out their flashlights to remember the soldiers in our country.

Julia Wendland, Author

People comprising all grades filled the bleachers in the Salentine gym. The floor rumbled underneath their feet as the rhythms of the high school drumline filled the expecting air. Exciting chants directed towards each grade mixed with the sound of the band. As the last person entered the gym, the Student Council leaders took control. Student Council had created a game for the homecoming court which involved having the kids slide their bodies across the floor using nothing but plungers. Another game that took place involved having two students from each grade shake ping pong balls out of a box tied around their waist. It was a hysterical game allowing everyone to share some laughs. Everyone anticipated what the clubs have conjured to perform for the student body and were anxiously awaiting when they would be shown. Although the band, cheer team, dance team, and the varsity football players created memorable routines, the most impactful of all was the patriotic acknowledgement towards those that serve our country. The teacher skit was one to remember with two teams going head to head with lip sync battles. Team Irvine took first place after lip syncing their rap songs which was preferred over Lady Gaga in the eyes of the students. One teacher who was one of the hosts of the lip sync battle shared her opinion on the pep rally. “I think my favorite thing about the pep rally is the passion. I see so many kids for the first time in something that they care deeply about, whether it be band, a sport, organizing the pep rally, singing along to Lee Greenwood’s “God Bless the USA,” dancing, cheering, supporting each other.” commented Mrs. Edwards. The annual teacher game, hungry hippos, had teachers sliding pushed by football players trying to grab balloons with a laundry basket. It was such a brutal game; one teacher for himself. There’s nothing like pepping up our football players and our school to bring down Waukesha South at the homecoming game.