Fun Filled Special Olympics

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Clayton Long, representing the YMCA at Pabst Farms, is all smiles after he competes and crosses the line in the 100 meter dash. Over 1800 special olympic athletes from the the greater-Milwaukee area competed in track and field events with first-, second- and third-place finishers able to qualify for a place in the Special Olympics Wisconsin State Summer Games. The event took place at Muskego High School, Saturday, May 4, 2013. Journal Sentinel photo by RICK WOOD/ [email protected]

Isabel Mendez

Muskego High school has been home of the Special Olympics for the past six  years and another year is upon us this year on  May 6th.  Special Olympics was originally held at Nicolet High School, but Mr. Raney believed that MHS had more to offer, including a better facility.  ¨After some time, I believed that we at MHS offered much better facilities to those at Nicolet. While the director at the time was [hesitant] to move the event, I invited her to come take a look of what MHS has to offer. Within a few minutes of stepping on campus they decided
to move the site to MHS.¨  MHS hosts about 1,800 Track and Field competitors with about 500 that compete in the soccer tournament.  There will also be between 100-125 volunteers.  Some of the events that will take place are all Track and Field event along with some events adapted to help those in wheelchairs.  Mr. Raney says ¨We can always use some help!¨ Anyone interested in helping out stop by Mr. Raney’s room (152) and pick up a volunteer form!  Here is a video that shows some of the fun that has happened at Special Olympics.