Grace Herker: Muskego High’s Nationally Published Writer

Charlie Kudy, Author/Editor

MHS has a lot of students that are talented in many different ways: sports, art, music programs, etc.. But how often do we think  about the gifted writers of our school community?

Senior Grace Herker hasproven herself to be quite the gifted writer, and has even been published in the national magazine Teen Ink. She has also won scholarships for her writings from Gateway Technical College.

— Charlie Kudy

I had a chance to askGrace a few questions, there interview is featured below.

What inspires your writing?

Nature is a huge inspiration to me. Anything from the raw power of ocean waves, to the stability of an oak tree is instant writing material. I also find that people are an excellent source of inspiration. Not even people I know, but sitting in a coffee shop or on a park bench and looking at someone, taking in every detail, and making up a story for them. Maybe that’s a little odd but it works!

What got you interested in writing?

Reading. When I was little I would go to the Library twice a week and get 5 books each time. I practically inhaled books. More recently, I have been going through a lot of personal issues, and writing has been a huge part of my healing process. It’s a way for me to get the negativity out of my head and work through things in a positive and productive way.

What writer has influenced your writing the most?

There’s two. I love Sarah J. Maas, She has a beautifully crafted fantasy series called “Throne of Glass”. I’m working on a fantasy book right now and her writing is a huge influence. Also Robert Frost. “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” is my all time favorite poem, and in general his poetry always resonates with me.

What’s your favorite type of writing? poetry? Short stories? And why?

I write both and I’ve had both published, but poetry is my favorite. When I write short stories it’s for other people’s entertainment, but when I write poetry it’s for me. It’s my way of dealing with thoughts and ideas I don’t fully understand, and working them out on paper. It’s a release, a medicine, and it’s never a chore to write.

Do you intend on being an author when you’re older, or something else in writing?

Absolutely. Writing is an area that can always be improved upon, and I doubt I’ll ever get sick of it. My dream is to be an author. I want to be able to reach other people with my writing. When I was little I used books as an escape, a way to be someone and somewhere else for a while. Now I’m older, and understand how important reading was to me, and still is. I want to be able to give that to other people.